Thursday, December 1, 2011

Dairy-Free Carrot Cake/ Muffin / Bread

It is the first day of December this year. Christmas is just a few weeks away. :) I wonder if we will bake Christmas cookies soon.

Anyways, I have written it earlier, baking carrot and banana are my favorites. They can be in any form - i.e. bread or muffin. 

The search for carrot cake/bread/muffin is over so I can gladly share the said recipe. Colleagues had begged for this recipe, too. It has a nice texture, is moist, and not too sweet. Of course, I kid myself into thinking it is also healthy because of the substitutions (apple sauce, brown sugar, and whole wheat flour).

I have been wanting to bake in jars to give away as gifts. These can supposedly be stored until 6 months. I have yet to do it because I read some contradicting articles about its safety. We will see what will happen, to bake or not to bake in jars.

Enough of my babbling....
The last piece ...... Nice texture, moist, and not too sweet as I love it

Adapted from allrecipes

Carrot Cake
For 12 Muffin Forms (I use silicon forms)
                               
Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 90 ml vegetable oil
  • 60 ml apple sauce (unsweetened, I use homemade)
  • 80 g white sugar
  • 80 g brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract or less
  • 100 g all-purpose flour
  • 25 g whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 165 g grated carrots
  • 55 g chopped walnuts or less
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg (optional)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Insert paper muffin form in every silicon muffin form. (For easy clean up)
  2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, apple sauce, sugar and vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Do not overmix. Stir in carrots. Fold in walnuts. Pour into prepared form.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in form for 5-10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. 
Note: 
Test doneness with toothpick AND press the top of the cake, it should spring back a little. I have had experience wherein the toothpick came out clean but the top layer is still underbaked.

Personal Note:
Alternative: use smaller pan, grease and flour, middle rack, 40 minutes of baking in the mini-oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LINKERS -NG, -G, NA

LINKERS -NG, -G, NA. Exercise: Adjectives + Nouns; Nouns + Adjectives Complete the phrases below using linkers -ng, -g, na. Adjecti...